Consider the rectangle and the triangle below.The applet above demonstrates that the area of a triangle is half the area of a rectangle with the same base and height.
- What do you observe? What are common properties between the two polygons?
- Drag point D to change the height of the triangle and drag point A or B to change the length of the base. What do you observe?
- What can you say about the areas of the two figures? Justify your answer.
- Click the Show Areas check box in the applet. Was your answer in 3 correct?
- Drag point E. What is the relationship between the area of the rectangle and the area of a triangle? Explain why this is so.
Download GGB file